Skip to Main Content

Car Accident Questions

If you’re in a car accident, first and foremost, try not to panic. Make sure to stop – never leave the scene of an accident. Check yourself for injuries and if any passengers, check on their well being. If in any immediate danger, get yourself to safety immediately. Call the police, or if you are unable to, have someone else contact them – even if it’s a minor accident – and file a report. If in an accident with another person, exchange information including insurance and other personal information. Read more detailed do’s and don’ts after a car accident or 6 things to do after a car accident. If you or a loved one suffered a serious injury because of a car accident, contact a personal injury attorney to see if they can help.

In New York State, if there is a car accident resulting in death, injury, or severe damage to the vehicle, the accident must be reported within 10 days. If not reported within this time frame, the consequences could cost you. Because it’s difficult to determine how much a repair can cost and can vary greatly depending on the vehicle, it is recommended to report even minor accidents. In addition, a car accident injury may not be realized immediately, so it’s important to document the accident.

If you or a passenger was injured in a car accident, call 911 immediately. File a police report and if another party was involved, be sure to get their insurance information and personal details including name, phone, and license number.  If the injury was due to the negligence of another party, you may be eligible for financial compensation. We offer free consultations for personal injury cases due to car accidents and can help determine if you have a case. Contact us today.

If you are involved in a car accident, it’s important to document as much as possible. If the accident involves another party, be sure to get their name, phone number, license number and insurance information. Make a note of the date, time, and location of the accident. If anyone witnessed the accident, try to document any statements they make that may be of help and get their contact information. If possible, take photos of the scene to document damage. And make sure to get a copy of the police report and of any tickets that may have been issued for the accident.

In New York State, those who have sustained a “serious injury” in a car accident may seek compensation for economic loss, including medical expenses and lost wages, as well as past and future physical and emotional pain and suffering.

They may try to contact you, but be sure to check with a personal injury attorney first before responding. You may be forced to say too much or unintentionally admit guilt. Let an experienced car accident attorney guide you through your discussions with the other insurance company.

Do not sign the paperwork for medical expenses until you have first consulted with a personal injury attorney. The insurance company may try to take advantage of a confusing and frustrating situation. If you sign paperwork at the request of an insurance adjuster, you may sign away important rights.

No-fault benefits are paid by the automobile insurance company of the owner of the car you are in at the time of the accident -- even if the driver of that car (whether you or someone else) is not at fault -- hence the term "no-fault benefits."

In other words:

  • If you are driving your own car, your insurance company is responsible for your no-fault benefits.
  • If you are a passenger in a car, the insurance company for the owner of that car, whether that owner is you, a family member or someone else, is responsible for your no-fault benefits.
  • If you are a pedestrian or bicyclist struck by a car, it is the insurance company for the owner of that car that is responsible for your no-fault benefits.