Peter has been with the firm since 1996 and has served as Managing Partner since 2014. He brings over 20 years of experience to handling all aspects of litigated matters in state and federal trial and appellate courts, from pre-suit investigation, through commencement, discovery, trial, appeal, and enforcement of judgments. His primary practice focuses on representing businesses and individuals in complex commercial, business and civil litigation issues, including:
- contract and business disputes,
- labor and employment,
- land use,
- health care,
- civil rights and,
- personal injury matters.
Peter's employment practice includes advising businesses and individuals on issues involving trade secrets, restrictive covenants, and non-compete agreements.
He also enjoys a significant municipal practice, representing fire districts, planning and zoning boards, and other municipalities on an ongoing basis, and as special litigation counsel.
- After being appointed pro bono to represent a prisoner in a pending civil rights case, Peter obtained a verdict in favor of his client against two corrections officers. The jury determined that the defendants violated the client's Eighth Amendment rights by failing to protect him from a violent assault by another inmate.
- New York State Bar (1996)
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York (1996)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit (1999)
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims (2001)
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Western District of New York (2004)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York (2004)
- Albany Law School (J.D., cum laude, 1995)
- Albany Law Review: Member, Editorial Board; Note & Comment Editor; Author, "School Choice Vouchers and the Establishment Clause." 58 Alb. L. Rev. 543 (1994)
- State University College at Geneseo (B.A., cum laude, 1992)
- American Bar Association: Law Practice Division, Litigation Section, Law Practice Management Section
- New York State Bar Association: Commercial & Federal Litigation Section, Labor & Employment Law Section, Local & State Government Law Section
- New York State Academy of Trial Lawyers
- Monroe County Bar Association: Litigation Section, Judiciary Committee (2009-2015), Professional Performance Committee (2002-2003, 2005-2015), Nominating Committee (2002, 2003), Young Lawyers Section (Chair, 2000-2001), Academy of Law Board Member (1999-2000), Academy of Law Executive Board Member (1999-2000)
- Heart and Seoul Korean Culture Camp: Member, Planning Team (2014 - present)
- Camp Chin-gu: Planning Team/Volunteer Coordinator (2011-2013)
- Third Presbyterian Church: Personnel Committee (2013-present), Elder (2013-2016), President, Board of Trustees (2008-2009), Member, Board of Trustees (2006-2009), Property Committee (2006-2009)
- Penfield Business Association: Vice President (2008), Board of Directors (2007-2008)
- SUNY Geneseo: Legal Studies Award Advisory Council, Rochester Advocate
Honors & Awards
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America®, Land Use and Zoning Law
- Selected to the Upstate New York Super Lawyers list
- The Daily Record's Attorneys of the Year Leader In Law Award, 2015
Speaking Engagements & Publications
Peter is a regular speaker for the Western New York Fire District Officers Legislative Association's annual fall workshop. He also presents at several professional continuing education forums covering topics ranging from negotiating physician employment contracts to litigating the local form residential real estate contract.
Peter writes an engaging and informative law blog, the Rochester Law Review, covering legal developments, cases of interest, and significant events in all key areas of his practice. You can follow the blog on Facebook and Twitter.
A Rochester native, Peter resides in Penfield with his wife and two children. In his spare time, Peter enjoys Taekwondo, mountain biking and hiking with his family. Although he has only climbed 24 of the Adirondack High Peaks, his goal is to eventually climb all 46 peaks.